Friday, September 28, 2012

Labor and Delivery

Aug 8 2012 was not the best day but from the start Aug 9 was the best day of my life!
At 6am on August 8 I had to call the hospital to make sure my room was available (much better) for my induction and it was! Tyler and I then headed out, stopped got him a coffee (we did not even get 2 hours of sleep the night before) and arrived at the hospital right on time. When we arrived they got me into a room, I signed some papers and then my doctor came in to check me. I was still only 2 cms dilated so she decided along with the pitocin they should do a balloon catheter. What they do is they insert the catheter into your cervix and blow it up on either side of the cervix to create pressure like the baby’s head would to dilate it. Putting in the catheter caused a lot of pain that felt like contractions. They gave me a shot for the pain and I fell asleep for the next 3 hours.
When I woke up, the contractions were still happening but I was not in any pain, meaning that unfortunately the contractions were doing nothing. At around 2 a nurse came in and said my doctor was in delivery but was going to come in when she was done to check me and decide what to do. She also said that there was a possibility that I would be going home. I was devastated. (After being in the hospital all day and pregnant for 9 months I was more than ready for that baby to be born!) At 4:30 she finally came in and took out the catheter and thankfully I was 5 cms dilated! Since I was finally moving along she decided to break my water. She told me I needed to walk around for 2 hours before I could get an epidural if I chose to get one. The contractions were coming every 1-2 minutes and started getting stronger and stronger. My 2 hours were not up yet so they suggested I get into the tub. It worked for the first 15 minutes but soon was doing nothing.
I got back into bed and it was time for my epidural. Right before I got nauseous and ending up getting sick which was no fun. The anesthesiologist came in and FINALLY gave me my epidural. I was concerned it would hurt but I was so focused on my breathing that I did not even feel it. I started feeling better in minutes. I even told the doctor (anesthesiologist?) he was my new best friend.
By the time the epidural fully kicked it it was about 7pm. For the next few hours I just laid in bed and tried to rest a little. At about 10:30pm my doctor came in and checked me. I was 10 centimeters. I thought it was finally time to push but my doctor said she wanted me to labor longer since I could not feel anything; that way I would not have to push for very long. They had me sit up more to let gravity help. She warned me I would probably be pushing for 2-3 hours since it was my first time and I had an epidural. I attempted to sleep for the next hour and a half.
At 11:45 she came back in and asked if I was ready to have a baby… OF COURSE I was ready! I was so excited! I started pushing around 12am. I could feel pressure but no pain, so I pushed when I felt that needed to. Between pushes I was taking sips of water and I was on oxygen. To be honest I don’t even remember why I was getting oxygen because I was a little preoccupied when they told me. At 12:33am I finally met the little man that had been living inside of me for the past 9 months. It was the best moment of my life. They laid him on my chest for a few minutes before taking him to measure. He was 7lbs 15oz, and 21 1/2 inches. At first he had a slight fever and was no really crying as much as he should have been. While they were doing all they had to do with him they finished with me. The placenta came out very easily, I didn’t have to push. I got 1 stitch, but she said I did not really need it. They brought him back to me and allowed the grandparents in to see him for a few minutes but they could not hold him due to his slight health problems. After about 15 minutes Tyler left with Ryder to go to the nursery and I got to finally eat something. 
It may have been a rough nine months (and certainly a rough 16 hours!) but it was all worth it to be able to finally meet my son, Ryder James.
My new PERFECT family<3

My little man and I<3

Daddy and Ryder<3




No comments:

Post a Comment